DATA WAREHOUSE CONSTRUCTION
The Data Warehouse Group is a Melbourne based provider of data warehouse systems and services. Our offering includes developing a data warehouse strategy that aligns with your long term goals, building the data warehouse, developing import routines, uploading historical data, writing of reports and providing ongoing support.
Organisations are creating more data than ever before. At the same time, the current aggressive business environment requires us all to achieve more with fewer resources.
Executives want employees to make better data-backed decisions however they struggle to access the right information at the right time, and often do not have detailed analytics capabilities. So in reality, many decisions are made on gut-feel instead of accurate strategic, tactical or operational insights. This results in suboptimal outcomes and increased organisational risk.
Better Insight into Your Organisation.
The starting point to obtain a better insight into your organisation is to consolidate all your organisation’s CRM, financial, production, sales etc. data into a single repository, called a data warehouse. Data from legacy can be included too.
A data warehouse system is a database that is designed for the combination of high speed reporting and efficient long term storage. It is a foundation for business intelligence and reporting systems by providing easy access to appropriate data.
Data warehouse systems typically comprised the following components:
- Staging Area: Data from existing organisational systems is standardised and cleansed before being uploaded into the main data warehouse. All inconsistencies between the various operational systems are eliminated from the data during this stage.
- Data Storage Warehouse: Main data store for all historic and current data from all systems. It may include Master Data tables (eg chart of accounts, company structure etc.) for consolidated reports.
- Data Marts: Large data volumes may be rearranged in Data Marts to provide reporting and analytical capabilities for specific business units.
- Analytical Cubes: Warehouse and Mart data is pre-aggregated in high-speed cubes. These are similar in concept to having numerous excel pivot tables, run for the most common reporting parameters. As a result, reports are quickly generated.
- Calculation Dictionary: Although not part of the architecture, a calculation dictionary defines the formula, methods and sources of data used to calculate organisational KPI’s and metrics. It aids consistency and accuracy of organisational-wide results, enabling a Single Point of Truth.
Data Warehouse Services
The Data Warehouse Group provides end-to-end data warehouse services. We have excellent capabilities and a depth experience in developing and maintaining data warehouse solutions built on Microsoft platforms and software. Our policy is to design fit-for-purpose data warehouses based on industry standards that are flexible, fast, and robust with minimal ongoing maintenance.
Case Study: Data Warehouse in less than 30 days.
Within 1 month of being appointed, we completed a SQL-based data warehouse for an Australian manufacturer. The data warehouse stores inputs from five systems: a 1995 ‘green-screen’ accounts package, a 2002 ERP system, a 2003 workshop management system, a time attendance system and a web-based payroll system.
30,000 + transactions per month are consolidated in reports that are generated within seconds. Five years of historical data have also been uploaded to facilitate trend analysis and comparisons to previous reporting years.
Since initial deployment, numerous extensions have been made to the data warehouse to track additional data that further identifies and exposes the levers driving key performance metrics.
Benefits of using the Data Warehouse Group
Our core speciality is finding clever and cost effective ways to store, analyse and generate reports from your organisational data. Benefits include:
That suits all
Clients of The Data Group